Conservation Area & Listed Building Consent

Hermitage Windows will assist you in acquiring building consent for conservation areas and listed buildings.

We will support you to acquire the building consent you need for the improvement of your period home, staying true to the heritage of your property

Listed Building Consent

If you live in a listed building and are planning to make any alterations to your windows – such as double glazing or changing the style of the windows – you will require listed building consent.

Hermitage Windows will handle this on your behalf and discuss directly with the local authority.

We will create a condition report on each window within the property, including photographic evidence of any rotten or damaged timber. As well as a detailed report, we will provide architectural drawings of your windows, including design specifications of any proposed changes or alterations such as double glazing.

The application process in most local authorities takes about 6-8 weeks. No matter the outcome, Hermitage Windows will create a tailored service to suit both you and the local authority.

Please note, listed building consent is not required if you are restoring or draught-proofing the windows.

Hermitage Windows Edinburgh

Conservation Area Consent

For properties located in conservation areas, the restrictions on alterations to your windows are not as strict. As a general rule, timber sash and case windows should be retained. Our surveyor will be happy to discuss all realistic options with you.